Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Totally flabbergasted

This is the first time,I would ever use the word "flabbergasted" in an article,it is the only word however that truly conveys the way I truly feel inside, though stunned,amazed,shocked or surprised would also do. English lessons are however for another day.

Let's go to the "what" that has made me feel this way, it is what I have coined "Government violence". Government violence is the use of force to bend the will of the citizenry usually through agencies of the government such as the police,army etc.

For instance,over the past weekend, lagosians who voted for Governor Fashola were beaten, assaulted and arrested by agents of the government over a peaceful protest of the lekki toll fare, this is shameful since I always believed in the government of Governor Fashola,me being a barrister myself. I never thought the Governor would ever give such an order but alas he did.

Another instance is Egypt and the way the military government is dealing with its citizens, there were reports and widely circulated videos on the internet of soilders shooting at protestants. Let us not forget of course the occupiers in America who were also manhandled recently.

What gives government the right to use physical force on the people its leaders swore to protect. Why have governments chosen dictatorship over diplomacy and dialogue.

News of police also gearing up for protesters against the intended fuel subsidy by purchasing batons and other tools of enforcing pain and fear on Nigerians also baffles me.

I would however warn President Jonathan that fuel subsidy is a great test of his administration and if he intends to pursue it by beating the common Nigerian just for saying he cannot afford to pay for fuel at exorbitant prices,he may as well get ready to leave Aso Rock because I know there is already revolution in the air, harming us would do more damage than good to his administration.

As a word to my fellow Nigerians, civil disobedience and protesting as always been a way of engaging an insensitive government. I would however urge us to be creative and peaceful in all ways of engaging government.

But on no circumstances should force be used on Nigerians ever again by any government or that government may just be biting more than it can chew.


Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

No comments:

Post a Comment