Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A FEW GOOD MEN I

In Nigeria today, almost all our leaders do not know what true leadership means, I am sure majority of them skipped the part that said "service to the people" is the true aim and sole purpose of leadership, especially when it comes under political leadership. However,due to experience every Nigerian knows these men have done nothing but splurge our countries wealth on themselves and their families. They neglected much needed infrastructural development and embraced dubious ways. Now we the people pay for it by attending mediocre schools, visiting unequipped hospitals, driving on bad roads and having no electricity to power our homes and businesses. However,we thank God not all these men are rotten, for we still have a few good men amongst them and one of them is Femi Gbajabiamila.

Honourable Femi Gbajabiamila is a Nigerian Lawyer,politician under the Action Congress of Nigeria and Minority Whip of the House of Representatives representing Surulere I constituency of Lagos State.

I met him on January 16,2010 at a public presentation of a book held in honour of Hon. Justice Niki Tobi Jsc Rtd held at Musa Yar'adua centre,Abuja. After hearing him speak for a few minutes I had no doubt in my mind that I was looking at a very intelligent person and when I got closer I could not help but notice his humility and respect for people.

Femi Gbajabiamila attended Igbobi College in Yaba, Lagos, King William's College on the Isle of Man, United Kingdom, John Marshall Law School in Chicago, Illinois, United States, and the University of Lagos.

Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila is an honourable statesman whose excellent leadership at the House of Representatives is only rivalled by his passion for sustainable democracy and good governance.

He was tagged a good example when he was seen on a queue at the airport while waiting to buy a ticket from Abuja to Lagos,he stood on the fairly long queue, awaiting his turn. When asked why he did not bring his influence to bear to save his time. His response was spontaneous: "It's my nature and besides, those I met there were human beings like me. To me, my social and political position does not give me the licence to jump the queue.

Hon. Femi criticised the National Judicial Council (NJC) over Justice Ayo Salami of the Court of Appeal. Opposition parties in the House challenged the response of the NJC, in its paid advert. They noted that it did not address the allegations made in court and sworn to by Justice Salami and its gravity, adding that the allegations were sworn to and made under oath at the risk of Justice Salami perjuring himself.

 
"It must be investigated if only to bring sanity and build confidence in our judicial system. The learned justices know too well that justice must not only be done but must be seen to be done," he added.

It is the few good men like this that still make us believe in the eventual success and growth of our great Nation. Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila is a worthy role model and a true representation of what a real Nigerian should be.
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

2 comments: