Thursday, March 10, 2011

Take Off Police Caps and Put ON a Thinking Cap.

My Dear IGP,
I think I might have to request for a sabbatical leave from the Police Force because lately I have been having this senseless thoughts in my head. Sir, I consider them senseless because they do not conform with Your wisdom let alone any rational thinking. Sir, I have admired with greatest sense of respect the way Ў☺ΰ have starred the Affairs of the Police force since Ў☺ΰ resumed office.
My admiration assumed it's peak when I heard of your response to the crime rate that has made our society a high risk area. I am very impressed by the new policy that all tint should be removed so that we can see through the glass of every vehicle. It is a very lofty idea to take down all tint, tint permit or not, compassionate grant of tint permit or not, government officials or not and notwithstanding cost.
At a first and pedestrian point of view that is gallant and unbiased, especially since kidnappers have been hiding behind tinted glasses.
However Sir, since we started going out to implement this policy some stupid Nigerians have been knocking irrational thinking into my knuckle head. The other day, while removing a man's tint as Ў☺ΰ instructed, He stood by and folded his arms, He appeared to be a good fellow calm and Law abiding I was even wondering why such a gentleman did not comply before it got to this, then he engaged me in a conversation
Gentleman:
"oga police' do kidnappers make their victims seat conscious and comfortable in the car while they drive them away?"
Oga Police:
(I responded with utmost police pride) Of cause not! Some of them no dey know say them they kidnap them until later sef, if they are conscious they will restrain them and put them in d boot.
Gentleman:
Really? Cos I was just imagining how removing my tint solves that problem especially since I was granted a permit on compassionate grounds. But now that Ў☺ΰ have removed my tint Ў☺ΰ'll allow the sun to blind my eye and u sef no go see kidnappers way Ў☺ΰ dey find. Ў☺ΰ no go see kidnappers and I no go see road that way, Police is still as blind and I stand a great risk of loosing my sight.
Oga Police:
Ok... Na because of your eye them give Ў☺ΰ tint permit?
Gentleman:
Yes, I duly applied with medical report and was made to Pay N12,000. I know many people that payed even more to get their tint permit from the police force.
Oga Police:
Na Abuja Ў☺ΰ collect am?,
Gentleman:
Yes,
Oga Police:
No wander, because if na lagos or other states na 15K,
Gentleman:
I wonder if the Police authorities calculated the cumulative cost of all tint permits that will be destroyed before commencing this exercise?
By this time I was done taking down his tint. He was so calm and wore a smile on his face as he shook my hand and introduced himself as Daniel.
Sir, as he drove off, I paused for a while to meditate on duty Sir, I apologise but it occurred to me that if we paused to meditate before implementing policies, maybe we'll do things differently but I have come to understand better now Sir, it is I who has the problem because many things became clearer to me after the meditation.
This removal of tint undermines the credibility of all tint permit ever issued. It goes to show that the police has rubbed the public of funds (N12,000 per tint). Because if the process of issuing tint permit was credible in itself, this operation will not be necessary. Instead, at police checkpoint all we'll investigate is whether or not the car has tint permit and the authenticity of the document so that where the document is certified OK, the officer in line of duty is rest assured that the owner has no ulterior motive for "tinting" his car. And where the document is not available or forged, the driver becomes a suspect and can be detained so that it even affords the police a chance to thoroughly interrogate him which of cause could help curb a wider spectacle of crimes apart from kidnapping.
Sir, I even foolishly considered it more reasonable that instead of removing tint and letting drivers go, we can issue a notice to say that in view of crime rate all tinted vehicles should be stopped and searched and holders of tint permit are encouraged to cooperate with police in verifying the authenticity of tint permits. It occurred to me that this measure will be fair to all, the cumulative cost incurred in securing tint permits does not go to waste, the credibility of tint permit will become more credible, the integrity of the police will be preserved and Police does not compromise compassion which is good PR and a means of assuring the Public that police cares about their eyes and other health hazards related to harshness of weather conditions.
I was brought back to consciousness by the bleating sound coming from the horn of macopolo the road giant. I shook my head as if to shake off the thought and put back on my police cap to resume duty.
Sir I did not arrive at any logical conclusion as to what to put in my report on the exercise until I got home exhausted that night and took off my cap for the second time that day so I decided maybe I need a leave so I can take off the cap for a while perhaps I'll arrive at more logical conclusions.
Before Ў☺ΰ approve my leave Sir, do Ў☺ΰ think I'm sane?

From an Anonymous member of the Force called: Dayo Balogun(Not Tafa o!)

Written by: Dayo Balogun (Nigerian Lawyer and C.E.O Integrated Intel)
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

No comments:

Post a Comment